Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Art of Teaching

I could really relate to Shira Loewenstein’s article, “Mentorship: Teaching the Teachers,” because she explains an itch that teachers go through after they develop stability in their career.  When I became a teacher, I always knew that I would have to continue to develop my education, and although it wasn’t especially attractive to me, it also didn’t deter me from entering this profession.  Once I got settled in my first teaching job, I immediately wanted to go back to school; it wasn’t necessarily the “itch” she describes, but it was a longing of sorts to advance my education.
All throughout college, I wanted to be an English teacher.  English was my major, and business education was my minor.  To be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed my business classes, but I never actually thought I’d teach it.  I student-taught in an English classroom and had an unofficial long-term substitute position teaching English.  However, that is where my English teacher experience ends.  Since spring 2009, I have been teaching consistently as a business teacher. 
After a semester in my first permanent teaching job, I knew that I loved teaching business and wanted to develop my education in that area.  So, I went back to CMU for a semester to become vocationally certified and make my business minor a major.  Then, I began this Master’s program in January to develop my career even more. 
As Loewenstein says, “Teaching is a craft – an art form – that needs to be practiced and perfected.” This is why continuing education is so important.  I know that I know more now about pedagogy than I did when I first graduated college in 2008.  I also know that I’ll know more in five years.  This is what thoughtful and dedicated teachers do – they continue to develop their ‘craft.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment