Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Bubble

Fredric Paul wrote an interesting article about the new Blackberry 10.  While smart phone after smart phone has been released, the Blackberry 10 has waited to release the new phone until the first few weeks of 2013.  While that doesn’t seem like a long wait to some, it apparently is an eternity for avid smart phone users.  Paul believes that the Blackberry 10 will flop because comparable smart phones have already been released with equitable features.  Personally, I don’t think that the release date is the problem.  The problem is that I, and probably a lot of other people, didn’t even hear about or even know that a new Blackberry was coming out.
Marketing.  It’s a pretty simple idea that has a tremendous impact on companies, products, and sales.  Apple does a fantastic job marketing its products; they create a movie trailer for every iPhone that comes out.  It is always a top story on the news when a new product is coming out.  Why does it seem like the Blackberry 10 is a well-kept secret?  There are many new features that are attractive to users, and I remember when the Blackberry was the “it smart phone” to have.  If I were in the marketing department of this company, I would be shouting from the rooftops about the new Blackberry.  But, I don’t work for this company and according to Paul, the Blackberry 10 is doomed. 
Has anyone heard anything about this release?  I didn’t think I lived in a bubble, but maybe I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment